4-H CALENDAR EVENTS
Here are just a few annual events/programs held at the county level, you may find more on our calendar:
- Tropicana Public Speaking Contest: This is a Speech competition help through the schools of Santa Rosa County. Youth present their speech with-in their classroom and can move up to the school contest and then to the County contest. If your school doesn’t participate in Tropicana ask your principal today if they can, all schools have to opportunity.
- County Events: This is a competitive event where 4-Hers present a speech, demonstration, and/or a talent in front of a judge’s panel to compete for a chance to move on to District Events, and, if they are a Senior, to the State competition at 4-H University.
- 4-H Camp Timpoochee Overnight Residential Summer Camp: Every summer our Santa Rosa County Youth ages 8-12 have the opportunity to go to overnight summer camp at 4-H Camp Timpoochee.
- Summer Day Camps (Vary Year to Year): Each summer, Santa Rosa County 4-H may hold one or multiple day camps here at the Extension Office. Camp theme vary but some examples of previous camps are Discovering 4-H Camp, Cooking Camp, Life Skills Camp, etc. If any camps would be available for the summer, they will be listed on our website.
- 4-H Open House: Each Year, typically at the closing of one 4-H year and the opening of another, SRC 4-H holds an open house for the community to come and see our showcase of 4-H and discover what 4-H is and what it offers.
- 4-H Awards Banquet: Typically following our 4-H Open House, we hold our annual Awards Banquet. This is where 4-H members of the previous 4-H year will be awarded with all of their special achievements throughout the year including, but not limited to, record book awards, standards of excellence, community service, etc.
- Veterans Day Parade and Cookout: Every year on Veterans Day, 4-H pairs up with multiple sponsors to hold a cookout after the annual Veterans Day parade and service held at the Milton Veterans Memorial.
- Christmas Party: Typically, our SRC Youth Council plan a Christmas party for all SRC 4-H members each year. Previously, all 4-H members cooked a dish of their choice and where given the opportunity to get up and give a presentation on how they made it. We also hold a present trading game.
- Santa Rosa County Fair: Each year 4-Hers are involved with the Santa Rosa County Fair in multiple ways. They can enter livestock shows (Registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-santa-rosa-county-fair-youth-livestock-show-tickets-41220746362) where they show off their livestock and all of their skills. They can also enter individual exhibits that show off their handiwork and creativity (Registration: Through 4honline.com profile). Please refer to the Rules and Classifications for Individual Exhibits: SRC Fair 4-H Entry Rules Class Descriptions. Clubs get involved by creating 4’X8’ Education Displays on their project for the community to view and enjoy while visiting the fair (Registration: Contact Prudence Caskey). Most importantly, our 4-Her’s generously volunteer themselves and their times to help setup the fair, work during the fair, and clean up once everything is over.
*Remember, events and programs can vary year to year. They can be new events can be added and current events can get changed or canceled, it all depends on the interest of our 4-Her’s and volunteers. So make sure to keep up with us on our website and social media. We also have a direct link to Santa Rosa County 4-H’s calendar for everyone to view above*
- Please visit the Florida 4-H website to view the many different events held at the state level: http://florida4h.org/programsandevents_/