SELF-CONTAINED COMPOST BIN
In order to better contain the potential odor and animal-attracting nature of an open compost bin, we developed this pattern for a simple, turnable, covered compost bin for our dog-waste composting.
Self-contained compost bin
- Plastic or metal garbage can with a lid. Any size will do. We found the 20-24 gallon size most manageable. Avoid brittle plastic cans as they will be hard to drill holes in
- 4-foot long section on 1-inch dowel (or old broom or mop handle)
- About 14 feet of 2 x 4 stock (pressure-treated is best)
- About 6 feet of 1 x 3 stock (pressure-treated is best)
- OPTIONAL: One or two elastic cords to hold lid on can if necessary
- OPTIONAL: Long-stemmed thermometer
Holes in bin lid
Spacers and supports
Stock and center support
- Assemble the pieces as shown in the diagrams above. First, construct the two base components. Make a sandwich of 2 x 4 lengths and 6-inch spacers. The center of each base component should be the center support, standing straight up, perpendicular to the base to form a T shape. After constructing the two base components, add the 1 x 3 lengths to connect the two components.