WHAT WE ARE DOING
Did you know that Florida is 30th among the world’s top 75 emitters among states and nations? Luckily, a lot is being done in our community to reduce our carbon footprint.
- Over 2,700 homeowners have enrolled in the Florida Power & Light Co. green power purchasing program
- Over 3,000 people have pledged to save energy through the ENERGY STAR Change A Light campaign
- Over 340 residents have taken advantage of the state solar rebates to install solar technology on their homes or businesses.
- Local businesses are increasingly building green and providing energy efficiently and renewable energy services to their customers
- Over 45 businesses are saving water and energy through the County’s Green Business Partnership
- Hosts statewide participation in the national educational campaign on climate change, Focus the Nation.
- Offers thousands of sustainability educational materials online and at local extension offices.
- Presents educational programs in local communities that help citizens make informed choices on climate change and sustainable living.
- Signed the 2030 Challenge to design buildings to be significantly more energy efficient.
- Established a green building incentive program and promotes smart growth development.
- Partnered with FPL to install the state’s largest solar array.
City of Sarasota
- Signed U.S. Mayors Climate Protection Agreement.
- Joined EPA WasteWise program to reduce waste and increase recycling.
- Became an EPA Energy Star Partner and ICLEI member through which the city focuses on improving global environmental conditions through local actions.