Skip to main content

Commercial Horticulture

Quick Links 

Need CEUs?

In-Person Trainings:

Visit the Green Industries in the Panhandle Site for upcoming trainings in the Panhandle.

You can also search the Florida Department of Agricultural and Consumer Services (FDACS) CEU Class website for upcoming trainings.

Online Trainings:

You can also obtain CEUs by watching online modules. For most pesticide licenses, a list of approved online CEUs is available on the UF/IFAS Pesticide Information Office Online CEU website. For online Fertilizer Applicator (Limited Urban Commercial Fertilizer License) CEUs, visit the Florida-Friendly Online CEU website.

How to Obtain FDACS Voucher

Go to the following site - and choose “Apply for Examination”. This takes you to the FDACS License website. If you have not paid online before, you will need to set up a user login account.

Once you’re logged in, choose structural/residential pest control. Then click on Exam sign up.

Make sure to choose the right license/exam – Limited Government/Private Lawn and Ornamental Pest Control (LLO) or Commercial Landscape Maintenance Personnel (LCLM).

The next step will be time consuming if you have several employees. You can make them enter their personal information and then pay at the right screen. You will need to enter name, driver's license number, birthday, home address, work address, home phone, work phone, and a pin number (for accessing FDACS site and CEU information later). 

On the next screen, check that all information is correct. It’s important to make sure names and addresses are correct for recordkeeping in the future – submitting CEUs, etc. Name must match legal name on driver’s license.

Check all of the agreement boxes and hit submit. This takes you to a new screen where you can pay with a card.

After paying you will be able to print out a receipt with a voucher number and DTN – digital tracking number. Please bring this information on the day of exam. This is how I will know you payed and I will submit the voucher with the tests to FDACS.

What's my License Number and is it Expired?

You can search for your license number and status using the FDACS People Search.

Which License do I need?

Figuring out what type of professional license you need can be confusing. The FDACS Pesticide Applicator Manual has all the information you need to figure it out.

If you still need help, you can always call the office (850-606-5200) for assistance.

Below is a summary of some of the most common commercial landscape licenses required by Leon County Green-Industry professionals.

Fertilizer Applicators

Limited Urban Fertilizer License

Required for any commercial or government employee that applies fertilizers to lawns or landscape beds. Training through the Green-Industries Best Management Practice (GI-BMP) Program is needed to obtain the license. More information can be found at the GI-BMP website.

Pesticide Applicators

Remember, pesticides include herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, nematicides!

Limited/Chapter 482 Licenses (use of pesticides in and around structures)

Most commercial landscapers will need the Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance Licence (LCLM, aka "Roundup" License). This allows the application of pesticides to ornamental plant beds and other areas around a structure. It does not permit the application of pesticides to lawns.

If you work for a government agency, homeowner's association, or apartment/condominium and will be applying pesticides to property owned by your employer, you will need the Limited Lawn and Ornamental License (LLO). This license allows you to apply pesticides to lawns and ornamental beds only on property owned by your employer.

If you need to test for a Limited license, you must attend all day to earn the 6 CEUs required to take this exam.  Exams are offered at the end of the session unless noted as a “renewal only” class.

UF/IFAS Leon County Extension also offers computer-based testing for Pest Control Operator Licenses (including WDO, Lawn and Ornamental) and Limited Structural Pest Control licenses.

Restricted Use/Ag/Chapter 487 Licenses (use of pesticides on sites not associated with a structure - Right-of-Ways, Natural Areas, Cemeteries, Athletic Fields, Farms, etc.)

All 487 licenses require that the applicator take and pass a CORE exam. Depending on your job duties, you will also need to take a category exam. There are nineteen categories to choose from. Some of the most common are described below.

Ornamental & Turf

For those that work on ball fields or cemeteries.

Right of Way

Typically, this category is for municipal employees or other managers of rights-of-ways (railroads, utilities, etc.)


For those that wish to apply pesticides (usually herbicides) to aquatic ecosystems for invasive weed control.

Natural Areas

This license is typically required for invasive plant managers to control unwanted plants in upland areas.

Private Agriculture

This is for agricultural operators that wish to use restricted-use pesticides on their property.

Restricted-Use/Ag/Chapter 487 exams can be taken on computer during regular office hours. Please schedule an appointment at 850-606-5202 with Genice Harris.

Study Materials

The UF/IFAS Pesticide Information Office has study materials for each license type available for purchase through the IFAS Bookstore.