Green Industries Best Management Practices
The GI-BMPs are a science-based educational program for Green Industry workers (lawn-care and landscape maintenance professionals), brought to you by UF-IFAS Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ program. The GI-BMPs teach environmentally safe landscaping practices that help conserve and protect Florida’s ground and surface waters. They can also save the Florida homeowner money, time, and effort; increase the beauty of the home landscape; and protect the health of your family, pets, and the environment.
To see what classes we are offering currently visit our Eventbrite
Who Gets Trained in the GI-BMPs?
Florida Statute 482.1562 states that all commercial fertilizer applicators must have a license from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) by January 1, 2014. To get this license, each Green Industry worker must be trained in the GI-BMPs and receive a certificate of completion from UF/IFAS and FDEP. Additionally, many non-commercial Green Industry applicators or other workers are required to pass the training by local ordinances or voluntarily participate in the program to better serve their clients.
This training is designed to provide corporate, governmental, environmental, and other personnel the Best Management Practices for lawn and landscape. Learn what impact the BMPs will have on your business or municipality. Developed by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and endorsed by the pest control industry, this training is brought to you by UF-IFAS Florida-Friendly Landscaping program with partial funding by FDEP through a Nonpoint Source Management (Section 319h) grant from USEPA.
Who Should Attend?
- Supervisors and employees in the lawn care, pest control, or landscape industry
- Municipal parks and recreation facility supervisors and employees
- Irrigation industry workers
- Commercial property managers
- City and county planning department staff
- City and county environmental department or water quality staff
- City and county commission staff
- Builders and developers
- Landscape designers and architects
- Golf course employees
- Anyone working in the areas of water quality, urban development, or environmental issues
What Will Attendees Receive?
- Training in all major aspects of the GI-BMP manual.
- A copy of the GI-BMP manual - Florida-Friendly Best Management Practices for Protection of Water Resources by the Green Industries. (It is strongly recommended that you obtain and study this GI-BMP manual prior to attending class. The manual can be downloaded here.)
- Certificate of completion of training, if the post-test is passed. Certificate is mailed within two weeks after in-person training, or the following business day after completing online training/test.
- In-person training may offer up to 4 CEUs for pesticide license holders. Please verify the availability of CEUs with the training provider for your class.