Duval County Urban Demonstration Gardens
Our demonstration gardens showcase a variety of methods for growing vegetables and herbs each season—from in-ground plots, to raised beds, to containers and hydroponics. We are always trying new varieties of vegetables and herbs, new growing methods, and the latest disease and pest management techniques based on University of Florida research so we can share what we are learning with everyone in Duval County. Our vegetable demonstration gardens are located all around Jacksonville. They are great places to see gardening techniques in action and can be visited by all.
• The Superior Street Demonstration Garden, located at 1032 Superior Street (map), is our largest demonstration garden. Starting in 2020 the garden will be open one Saturday a month for public tours. It is open to school and community groups by appointment year-round. To see the current Saturday tour schedule, please see our online calendar.
• The Beaches Museum, located at 381 Beach Blvd. (map), is the site of the Heritage Demonstration Garden. It is part of the museum’s History Park and is maintained by Duval County Master Gardener Volunteers. In the garden visitors have the opportunity to learn about seasonal vegetables, sugar cane, and composting in the context of Florida pioneers and the lives of early 1900’s beach settlers. For more information about visiting, please see the Beaches Museum website.
• The Mandarin Garden Club, located at 2892 Loretto Rd. (map) , hosts vegetable and herb gardens, in addition to its many other ornamental and pollinator gardens. The gardens are designed and maintained by Duval County Master Gardener Volunteers. They are open to the public from dawn to dusk except when the club has ‘private party’ rentals. See their website for more information.
For more information about the Urban Gardening Program or Community Gardening, contact Beth Marlowe by e-mail or phone at 255-7450
For general vegetable gardening questions contact a Master Gardener Monday through Friday from 9AM to noon and 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM by phone at (904)255-7450.
Vegetable Gardening Resources
- Vegetable Gardening
- Edible Flower Gardening
- Growing Vegetables in Containers
- Floating Hydroponic Gardening