Helping Floridians improve their financial knowledge and resilience, UF/IFAS Extension Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) agents are ready to help you and your family make the best financial decisions for your financial stability and wellbeing. Our mission is to provide free and accurate financial education to Floridians. Based in local offices across the state, our agents are Accredited Financial Counselors through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education (AFCPE) and, in some cases, Certificed Housing Counselors through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Who can participate in financial Counseling?
Our program is open to everyone, prioritizing those who are underserved and unable to utilize any other services. This may include rural communities, those with chronic illnesses, or those struggling to make ends meet.
How we can help
We focus on helping you organize your finances and understand your options. Our counselors help you think through how to prioritize bills, stretch food dollars or find alternatives to some of your current expenses. In addition, we can assist you with understanding your credit situation and credit report, establishing a plan of action and learning how to follow your plan for success.
How does it work?
- Once you sign up, we will match you with one of our faculty members.
- They will reach out to you and set up a time to talk.
- In your first meeting via Zoom, Skype, phone, or whatever works best, you will review the scope of the program, and sharing information with us. We will clarify expectations for all involved and to be sure our program is a good fit for your needs.
- Your information is stored securely and your identity is confidential.
- Through your relationship with your counselor, you will explore some of your financial concerns and challenges.
- Participants will be expected to complete tasks between meetings that only you can do (for example, calling lenders or accessing accounts).
- Together, you and your counselor will devise approaches that might work for your family and identify resources in your community that may be able to provide assistance.
Apply For Free Financial Counseling
To apply for free financial counseling assistance, click the button below and complete the application.