1. Estimated crop water requirements, expressed as gal/10,000 sqft/year, calculated based on each crop’s coefficient (Kc) and the region’s historic reference evapotranspiration rate.
2. Annual irrigation in South Florida, based on UF/IFAS turfgrass recommendations (35,765 gal/1,000 sqft/year Source: page 2, Water Savings Potential “Note” EDIS Publication AE515), expressed as gallons per 5K sqft; the typical suburban home in Florida may have a total lot size of about 10K sqft (about 0.2 acres), including a landscaped area of about 5K sqft (about 0.1 acres). http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae515
3. Source: page 5, National estimate of indoor household water use (138 gallons per household per day), expressed as gallons per household per year. http://www.waterrf.org/PublicReportLibrary/4309A.pdf
4. Assuming two plantings (fall and spring) of tomatoes per year.
5. Assuming only one crop produced per year; typically, cabbage and potatoes are only planted once each year and rotated with other crops.
6. Annual water requirement averaged over a typical 3-year cultivation.